DR Mark Smith has 30 years teaching experience both in the UK and overseas. He has taught Key stage1,2,3,GCSE and A levels in specific subjects such as English Language, Literature, Mathematics ,Science, Economics Government and Politics. ,Religion and Philosophy, Law, History ,German, Latin and Classical Studies .Some of these subjects he has taught to degree level. He can also offer IELTS,ESOL and TEFL and 11 /13 Plus entry plus exams .He gets excellent results and has testimonials and references to this affect. He is an accomplished PHD student with a track record in diverse and challenging environments including political/economic research, journalism, International education, culture, diplomacy ,religion and SEN/ALN.
He also teaches horse riding, out door theatre, sword fencing and archery. He was awarded a Medal of Honor by HRH, the Duke of Kent at St James Palace in recognition of building educational and cultural relations between different races, faiths and cultures .He has also introduced youth groups to the Dalai Lama and the Archbishop of Canterbury. Mark is widely travelled and taught all over the world and is currently writing a novel based on his experiences. Mark constructs a bespoke educational programme which is constantly monitored .He can meet the needs of the individual or lasses and can help with University applications(UCAS),personal statements ad interview techniques.
On a personal level ,Mark is a married man with three children and seven grand daughters. He is Director of the German Cultural Centre in Wales. He piloted the EPQ in Wales which us a highly regarded qualification which the Universities admire because It is research based with no exams. Mark's wife is a herbalist and teaches pharmacy and alternative therapies.
DBS (CRB) Check: yes [We have collected and approved this users CRB/DBS certificate]
Education & Training
Gwent College of Higher Education1992
The Open University1988 – 1992
Special Needs/Counselling Diploma
Ebbw Vale College1987
A & S Level Politics
“In Service” Training
• Counselling Diploma
• Teaching English As A Foreign Language
• Patterns For Living
• Special Needs
• Makaton Language Training
• Leisure For People With Profound & Multiple Disabilities
• Lay Preacher for The Church in Wales
• Received a medal from HRH The Duke of Kent in recognition of work done in the promotion of German/British relations
Home Education Advisory Service Wales/Master Plan Academy 2017 - ongoing
*Business consultancy, translation, personal education
North Somerset Council- Educational Adviser 2015- 2017
Sonnenberg International Hanover
• Cultural Officer
Tredegar Business Park/FE Colleges 2013
AP Phillips, Lulworth House Abergavenny
Educational Advocacy Adviser
with a legal party to establish criteria around allegations of negligence. Liaising with LEA’s and funded through University of Glamorgan Business Partnership.
I Q Tuition – Teaching 2013 – ongoing
• Teaching Consistency work across the Educational Spectrum
Oxford Home Linava, Cardiff 2012 - 2013
• Teaching Russian Clients
Academy Tefl, Sussex2012 – 2013
• Teaching Tefl Teachers
Teaching English as a foreign language in Moscow2012 – 2013
Gorwal “Welsh Assembly think tank 2012 onwards
Joined ‘Scriveners’ Writing Group2013 – 2015
IPSEA 2013- ongoing
• Voluntary adviser
Rathbone Training Centre 2011- 2012
• Skills adviser
Gwent Theatre Summer 2009 & 2010
Lecturer in Theatre Studies
• Utilising knowledge of German and English literature and classical studies to teach theatre studies to disaffected and SEN pupils.
Counsellor 2009 – 2010
Working with young people suffering from traumatic situations including suicide, bereavement etc
Willows Club Troedyrhiw, MerthyrSummer 2007 – 2010
Teaching art, craft, music therapy and field sports to local disadvantaged youths.
Merthyr Tydfil College2008 – 2010
• Part Time Lecturer in Special Educational Needs: responsible for teaching groups across the curriculum area.
• ESOL awareness, inspection and training. Key Skills & Learning Coach.
• Work Placement Office for Include Project (working with disaffected and disadvantaged youths)
• Social Review Liaison Officer – organising reviews for clients and adopting a multi agency approach.
Ludlow Racecourse 2008
Acting Steward/Fundraising Committee (injured jockey club)
Member of SACRE – promoting understanding between different faiths.2008
Viktor Murenko Shipping, Odessa
• Responsible for teaching business English and Business German to company executives
Tour Guide & Coordinator – Ongoing
Coordinating and taking guided city “Battlefield” tours in Berlin and Vienna
Cardiff – Stuttgart Association2007
Mayor of Colditz Saxony
• Twinning agreement project work.
• Delivering classes in advanced level business for German executives
• Exploring/identifying cultural issues and reporting back to NGO’s
Friends of Israel2002
• This was a “bridge building” project designed to improve religious relations, explore anti Semitism, Jewish culture and philosophy.
Cardiff and Biedfield University2002
• Dealing with social exclusion, e
integration and reengagement of European youths.
The Christian Mission Society, Nepal2001
Poverty Alleviation Officer
• Responsible for creating an infrastructure to facilitate empowerment and knowledge for villages, with an overall goal to reduce poverty in the region.
The Goethe Institute2000
• Promoting the German Language in Britain
Konigswinter Council, Oxford University2000
• Advisor for British-German relations.
UNESCO, Botswana and Namibia1999
The Welsh Assembly1999
• European Affairs Adviser
The Wales Council in Europe1998
• Appointed executive member
Cardiff City Council 1998
• Counsellor – working with disadvantaged young people
• Teacher (weekend work) teaching advanced level subjects including politics and religion.
Other notable positions include:
• Appointee to the Governance & Management Committee of Coleg Gwent
• Host for International Students through Christs College Brecon
• Director of the German Cultural Centre in Wales since 1997
• Supply Teacher – Wales and East Sussex
• Home Tutor – West Sussex
Jurgen Matthes, (Eastbourne)1989
The British Council/UNESCO1989
Based in Eastern Europe
Subjects included politics, English and comparative religions.
German & Austrian Embassies in Wales1985
• Primarily responsible for the development of cultural links via lectures, diplomatic representation, writing artil
es and organising exchange events.
• Has worked part-time as a journalist since 1985 and has written articles for a range of German and British pu b
lications. Currently involved in a project on translation and writing reviews of German novels and translation of children’s books into English